Friday, July 17, 2009

Staedtler iRemedy 9712A Anti-bacterial Mechanical Pencil

Nasty swine-related germy-things are big news these days. I don’t mean to make light of the situation or the very real nature of the threat, because I personally take it seriously, but it’s a good time to be in the respiratory mask business and/or the hand and surface sanitizing product business. I imagine that sales of everyday items impregnated with anti-bacterial compounds are also on the up, although the efficacy of many of these anti-bacterial agents in combating a virus like influenza is another question entirely.
Staedtler iRemedy 9712A mechanical pencilHere we have the Staedtler iRemedy 9712A anti-bacterial mechanical pencil with anti-bacterial grip and barrel. It is made in Japan and seems to primarily be a Staedtler USA offering.Staedtler anti-bacterial packageFrom the back of the package.Staedtler iRemedy anti-bacterial instructions (Click to enlarge and read in Inglés and in Español)

Rest easy knowing that this is one pencil that won’t catch some nasty disease. Here’s one blokes opinion on anti-bacterial products, not that I’m agreeing or disagreeing with his views.
http://alobar.livejournal.com/1588647.htmlSteadtler iRemedy and influenze memorial

9 comments:

B2-kun said...

I picked one a long time ago more from my compulsion to get different colored pencils for my collection rather than for any claimed "antibacterial feature". As a scientist, I knew it from the start that this was just another deceptive marketing approach with zero benefit for the consumer.

Penmaniacs said...

I've actually seen a few doctors carrying antibacterial pens, not the staedlter however, they usually use papermates. The whole concept of one of these pencils to me seems a little bit gimmicky to me. Nice job on the review.

Wes

Max said...

Not a bad idea! Now I carry my own pens and pencils and wipe them off regularly. (Im a nurse so it makes good sense.) Anyway, the swine flu (or H1N1) is a virus so an antibactierial pen would do you no good. Apart from that the H1N1 isn't even a very aggressive kind of flu. There has now been close to 100,000 confirmed cases worldwide with less than 500 deaths. So no need to panic.

Andrew said...

I'm really skeptical of how these antibacterial pens, though they sound like they would be the perfect gimmicky giveaway for medical or pharmaceutical companies.

Caitlin said...

Had one of these pencils before. Its a great pencil. I love the grip.

Henrik said...

Attack of the variants again (a PC expression for clones)? Another Kotobuki item?
Anyway this one share many features with Faber Castell grip plus, and the Penol Jumbo, previously reviewed by Dave.
Thanks for the link Dave – hilarious 
Henrik

Penmaniacs said...

Good to know max, my cousin had swine flu and said it was basically the normal flu. I just bought the Porsche ted flex pencil and it's cool, heavy, and sexy.

Germ said...

now, if we could just disinfect people...... wait, impossible. alo don't understand what hygiene is.... of course, the yno longer teach it in school.... :)

ajsogwop said...

Hey guys love my I Remedy Anti-bacterial so much wore out the grip from use. Anyone know where I can get grip replacements???